Sunday, January 17, 2010

Strength Training - one formulae

As martial artists we are always on the look out for ways to gaining strength without bulking up too much, my knowledge on this subject is general at best, so I'm always on the look out for information and tid bits.

A few years back I made a friend at work who happened to be a Russian swimming coach. he migrated to Australia and was working as a mechanical engineer, he was also involved in swimming here in Melbourne locally as coach.

This gentlemen was very well built and it looked natural no roids, he was also a fitness freak and was full of great information about the body and how to strengthen it.

Once we got to know each other, I asked him what would be the best exercise to increase strength without bulking up too much.

His reply was everyday after work to go into my garage (where I have regular free weights) and cold (no warm up) do as many squats or dead lifts as i could.

For a beginner like me he suggested easing into and starting of on a one minute time duration.

Then increase next month to two minutes then increase the month after that to 3 minutes.

The weight had to be something I was comfortable with for the one minute time duration when starting of.

Once I got to a 3 minutes of none stop lifting, the time didn't increase anymore.

When this exercise got easy for me, he suggested to increase the weight in small increments.

Now he said no warm up or warm down.

When you become advanced 3 minutes non stop everyday is the entire workout.

I never really followed it because I wasn't sure how true this may have been.

Recently on a martial arts forum, I asked a personal trainer with 27 years of experience in the martial arts, who also posts there what he thought of this advice.

Andrew wrote:

magpie - That is actually a fairly common training theme from kettle bell sport athletes. KBs come in standard sizes, so instead of adding weight, they add time (volume) or strive to do more reps within that time (density). It also forms the basis for Pavel's Power to the people workout which has produced national champion power lifters in the US, drug free.

The cold training part is a vital component to many tactical warfare operators who don't get a chance to warm up before they go into battle. Having a body that has an "easy" strength reserve is very important. I've written about that before, either on my blog or in an article, sorry can't recall too much as I write an awful lot and it all kind of blurs together.

Andrew's website here: http://relentlesspt.wordpress.com/about/

Well I think I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

WARNING!

If you try this exercise make sure you know exactly how squats and dead lifts are performed or you may risk serious back injury.

Also that you are fit enough to undertake such a strenuous activity, if unsure consult your doctor first.

Just thought I would share this information with you, most of you probably familiar with this type of training so if it was boring I apologise.





.